If you, like me, can't be phaffed with the rigamarole of freeze-then-stir-then-freeze-
Banana 'icecream' with pecan butterscotch sauce
You will need: (serves two greedy people)
50g demarera sugar (or mix half demarera and half granulated)
10g butter, at room temperaure
100ml single cream, at room temperature
a handful of pecans, chopped
- Liquidise or thoroughly mash the bananas with a fork and scrape into a freezable container (I used an old takeaway container) then pop into the freezer overnight.
- Remove the banana from the freezer about half an hour before you want to eat it and get started on the sauce
- Melt the sugar slowly over a very low heat in a heavy bottomed pan. Don't be impatient and turn the heat up or it will burn which tastes horrid. As soon as the sugar starts to melt, take the pan off the heat and let it continue to melt from the heat in the pan. If it needs some encouragement, put it back on the hob but watch it like a hawk.
- Once the sugar is completely melted, add the butter and whisk.
- Add the cream and whisk again until it is completely combined.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Serve scoops of 'icecream' with lashings of sauce
Tips & Variations:
- Beware, the melted sugar is very very hot. Don't be tempted to taste it; it burns!
- Add chunks of pecan, macademia or chocolate to the bananas before you freeze the mixture.