Pages

Wednesday 10 June 2009

French Toast Dilemma

French toast, as my family call it, has been a bit of a treat breakfast since I was little. I remember sitting in my kitchen at home swinging my stubby legs and grasping the sticky maple syrup bottle while watching my Dad dip slices of bread into the creamy egg mixture before transferring them to the hot pan. We would eat them sweet with honey or syrup and a generous shake of cinnamon. However this entire academic year, it's been a topic of contention and ongoing research between my housemate and myself. He insists that "eggy bread" is savory and as such, should only be eaten with ketchup. Being the competitive types that we are, it's prompted random polling of our friends and relatives to establish exactly who is right.

Not one to be outdone, I've done a bit of research via t'internet and I can conclude that (drumroll please...) we're both right! Disappointingly. This is mainly because, it seems, that 'french toast' or pain perdu (en Francais) is usually sweet and is served with jam, butter, syrup, etc. Meanwhile, the more English 'eggy bread' is more often savory and eaten with marmite (yuck) or tomato sauce. If you're curious, give it a try!

French Toast, Gypsy Toast, Eggy Bread, Pain Perdu...

Ingredients: (enough for a hungry two)
3 medium eggs
a splash of milk or cream
1tsp caster sugar or a pinch of salt
5 slices of white bread
Cinnamon
Maple Syrup
Tomato Sauce

Method:
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar/salt. Add cinnamon if making a sweet mix. Pour mixture into a deep dish or large bowl.
- Dip each slice of bread into the bowl in turn until each side is covered and has soaked up a little of the mix.
- Fry in a pan with a little oil over a medium heat until golden brown and cooked all the way through
- Serve with your choice of condiment.

Variations:
You can also use slice of baguette instead of bread. Slice thinly (about 1.5cm) on the diagonal. I tend to use white bread as it soaks up more mixture but you can use wholemeal if you wish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...